Novi Sad, the capital of the Autonomous Province of Vojvodina and the administrative centre of the Southern Bačka County is situated in the central part of the vast Vojvodina plain. As the second largest town in Serbia it is an administrative and economic centre and due to its favourable geographical position Novi Sad has a very specific transit-tourist position as well. The first written documents about the city date back to the end of XVII century although, according to the previous findings, in the place of the Petrovaradin fortress near Novi Sad there was a human settlement even in 4500 BC. Since its foundation Novi Sad has become the centre of the Serbian culture and has rightly been named “Serbian Athens” and as long ago as 1826, Matica Srpska (Serbian Cultural Centre) was founded in Budapest as a distinctive bastion of the national awareness, culture and literacy. In 1864 it was moved to Novi Sad. Nowadays, with the population of over 400.000, Novi Sad is a large industrial and financial centre of the Serbian economy, a university town with numerous state and private faculties and institutions of higher education. Novi Sad is a city of culture, museums, galleries, theatres, libraries, a university centre whose students are more and more participating in the public life of the city, in a great number of research projects and in the organization of various cultural events and happenings. Among the most significant events certainly is one of the biggest music festivals of Europe – EXIT which has been held in June each year since 2000. The town is the seat of numerous top-class sports clubs: football, volleyball, handball, table tennis, boxing, karate, judo and the others.
Near Novi Sad, on the northern slopes of Fruška Gora there is a settlement of Sremska Kamenica. The historical data say that these regions were devastated by a mighty Illyrian tribe even 2300 ago. Since that time many nations ruled this part of the country (Romans…). However, the first reliable fact of the place dates from the thirteenth century when it was mentioned in the charter of the Hungarian king Bela IV by the name of “Villa Kamanch” “The golden age” of Sremska Kamenica was the period of XIV and XVI century as at that time it became a well-known provincial town on the Danube in which the crafts, trade and culture were flourishing. In the documents from 1408 it was called “civitas seu opidum” Kamanec and according to the data from 1439 – Kamanec. It went through the most difficult times during the Turkish conquest starting from 1520. Since 1687 Kamenica belonged to the Varadin County and in 1702 it was liberated from the Turks and became the property of the general-baron Ifelin. Kamenica developed rapidly and from 1886 to 1941 it was a part of the Irig County. A well-known building in Sremska Kamenica certainly is the police school, built in 1848 as a “cadet school” for the purpose of training the military police professionals in the Austrian empire. With its area of about 7.000 square meters and the number of storeys it was one the highest buildings built on the territory of Novi Sad. From 1869 to 1895 the building was the premises of a silk plant and a barracks and in 1895 the “Cadet Academy” from Osijek was moved in and remained there till the fall of the Austro-Hungarian Empire. After the creation of the Kingdom of Yugoslavia the building became the state property and until 1941 it was gendarmerie school for the officers, noncommissioned officers and gendarmes.
EDUCONS is the first private University in Vojvodina. The University was established in 2008 as a result of recognizing the needs of the students to obtain education in several scientific fields, with an awareness that knowledge, as the primary resource of the modern world, must go hand in hand with global developments. The University EDUCONS is comprised of ten faculties: the Faculty of Business Economics, Faculty of Environmental Protection, Academy of Classical Painting, Faculty of Ecological Agriculture, Faculty of Applied Security, Faculty of Information Technologies (FINTECH), Faculty of European Legal and Political Studies, Faculty of Teacher-Training Studies and Faculty of sports and tourism.